DIY: Pastel Tie-Dye
I have been obsessed with tie dye since last summer, and I've been testing out making my own tie dye! There are a few small businesses who sell hand-made tie dye that I am OBSESSED with, but I started making my own tie dye because it's fun to make and it helps me save money with creating new outfits! For this weeks tie dye project, it cost me $7.99 for a sweatshirt from Amazon, and I already had the Tulip Tie Dye Kit from other tie dye projects.
Creating lighter tone, or pastel, tie dye is tricky. I figured out a tip on how to create the colors to be lighter. Follow my step by step guide, or watch my tutorial of my DIY Pastel Tie-Dye on IGTV or Youtube.
What you will need:
Tie Dye Kit
Cotton Sweatshirt - here are some awesome, affordable options (I'm a size medium in the sweatshirt I purchased, but I could have gone bigger - to a large).
2. Prepare your work area with plastic wrap or a sink that is stain resistant. You don't want the dye to stain your clothes you're wearing or furniture. Easiest place to tie dye is outside!
3. Take your sweatshirt (or other cotton clothing item) and create swirls in the material by twisting the fabric. To keep the twirl in place, place a rubber band around the swirl.
4. Keep creating swirls until your sweatshirt is covered tightly in swirls, held together with multiple rubber bands.
5. Put on plastic gloves and start squirting the dye bottle mix onto the sweatshirt! Cover the sweatshirt as much as you'd like.
6. This is the MOST IMPORTANT PART! Once you are done covering the sweatshirt in dye, let the sweatshirt sit for 2-3 minutes (an entire song-length). The longer the dye sits on the sweatshirt, the darker it gets! For pastel, it only needs 2-3 minutes!
7. Once the dye is done sitting for 2-3 minutes, take the rubber bands off and place the sweatshirt, by itself, in the washing machine. Set the washing machine to cold wash and do not add laundry detergent.
8. Take out your beautiful new tie dye pastel sweatshirt and place on a hanger to air dry!
Leave any questions you have in the comments below!